Search for desktop *BSD (part 1)

In some post, long time ago, I mentioned that I wanna install some BSD distribution on my spare laptop. My semester at school is now over, so I can look into it.

What do you do when you look for OS?
Please, share in comments.

What I will do is asking some basic questions:
  • what is the purpose of install (desktop, server...)
  • what kind of software I wanna use (free, open-source, non-free)
  • is this software available
  • what HW do I have
  • is this HW supported
And then stuff like support options, usability, is it for my kind of users, installation and so.  And bunch of questions will show up in process. That's for sure! 

What I wanna start with is what HW do I have. I will use this knowledge when answering questions about HW compatibility and with other research (SW etc.). 

And yes, as the title say, I am looking for BSD for everyday use. 

Model name: NT550P7C-S01G
It is, in fact, Samsung Series 5 laptop. Google isn't helpful with finding specs (it is probably Korean-only model), so I will find specs by myself. To be complete, I have to say that it comes with Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit pre-installed.
     
CPU
    Intel Core i5 3320M @ 2.60GHz 

    Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
    4.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
    SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD. SAMSUNG_NP1234567890 (SOCKET 0)    

Graphics
    Generic PnP Monitor (1600x900@60Hz)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Samsung)
    2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M (Samsung)    

Hard Drives
    466GB Seagate ST500LM012 HN-M500MBB ATA Device (SATA)   

Optical Drives
    Slimtype DVD A DS8A8SH ATA Device
Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

Networking
    Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
    Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6235
    Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R) 4.0 + High Speed Ada 
   
Then I have Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad, WebCam SC-13HDL11939N.

(To get this info I used free tools Speccy and WinAudit).

But that's all for today. People don't like reading long post ;] 

In next post I wanna make some specifications what I am looking for (what HW needs to be supported, what software I need to run). I've already dome some, but I am not finished yet

 Anyway, I am open to any suggestions and comments. In fact, I could use your ideas a lot! 
  

SHARE

JH

software developer - guitar player - poetry lover

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment